Telehealth is the distribution of health services and information via electronic telecommunication technologies. The most important aspect of Telehealth is that it gives the Patient the option of seeing a Doctor in the comfort of their own home.
Telehealth is fast becoming a more efficient way of providing Health Care to the community.
Telehealth is fully supported by the Health Care Home model and they have put together a resource directory that you can access at the link https://www.healthcarehome.org.nz/hch-moc-overview
See the following link to the Telehealth Forum and Resource Centre: https://www.telehealth.org.nz/
Benefits of Telehealth
- For patients: Faster access to care and shorter wait times. Remote patients can remain close to home, making consultations more convenient and reducing travel
- DHBs: Fairer health system because of better access to care. More educational options for DHB staff via specialist video training
- Specialists/consultants: Less time spent travelling for consultations. Greater control over scheduling. Closer working relationship between specialists and primary care
- Aged care workers/nurses: Reduced need to transfer older patients. Increases nurses’ knowledge through more exposure to specialist consultations
- General practitioners: GPs who serve rural health facilities need to travel less frequently. Store and forward allows for accessible referrals and second opinions
- Allied health workers: Rehabilitation and physiotherapy can take place via videoconference, meaning less time and budget spent on travel.
Telehealth can be delivered using any of the following technologies
- Phone Consultations including phone triage
- Video Consultations
- Patient Portal
Another good resource provided through the Health Care Home collaborative is attached in the link below. This is a recording of a webinar that covers the topics of:
- Clinical Triage, practical implementation and workflow
- Technical Support and Licensing
- Telehealth Including consumer focus
There is no expectation that Virtual consults will be provided free to the patient. We understand that it can be difficult to collect a co-payment virtually, we are working with key people nationally to implement systems and processes that make this easier for you.